Thursday, February 14, 2008

No Power......

No Power...which means we have had NO ELECTRONICS for the past 3 days!!! We had no power for 34 hours, but we still don't have TV, computer or Phone cuz we have Charter and they aren't back up and runnning yet, so all of us are going through withdrawels now...even me! Isn't that sad???
We had a bad ice storm for those of you who didn't know. We got atleast 3 inches of ice, and we've had alot of trees and power lines down around here. People say that they have never seen this kind of weather. The ice storm started Monday morning, after we were released from school early, by the time I got the kids almost home, my windshield was frozen with ice...even with the defrost on! It sleeted all day and then the power went out about midnight Monday night, and we just got it back on yesterday afternoon. We had trees all over the subdivison down, our road was blocked, and there is only 1 way in. I have lots of pics to show everyone as soon as we are back online. We lost a couple of smaller trees and our big maple trees with all the beautiful blooms and leaves in the fall, we are going to have to cut waaaay back :( A big tree that sits in the middle of our back fence and the neighbors behind us, fell into our yard and just missed our pool. Thankfully we don't have any too close to the house except for the younger Pin Oaks in the front and they were pretty strong. It was beautful to see ice on everything but very scary to hear the braches all over the neighborhood "snap, crackle,pop" ping for 4 hours Monday night! I was awake till 4 am Tuesday morning wondering if any of ours were going down...just alot big branches, fell on the fence and bent our fence, but didn't hit our garage or the shed or the pool, so we were thankful for that, even though they wouldn't be a big thing to replace like a roof or cars or car windows like some have had...thank goodness for those who have car insurance huh??
Richard went to a friend's grandparents house last night who had power and internet. The girls and I went and got movies and stayed up pretty late watching them till after Lee got home from work. This morning I didn't even want to get up because our phone still wasn't working...Oh I could clean and do laundry, (which I did end up doing, vaccumed some, & stripped my bed) but when Lee got called to work early, I decided that the girls and I were getting out of the house! and yes, I did take my laptop along thinking I might find WiFi somewhere, but everywhere we checked on our way back home it wouldn't connect, so we stopped off at mom and dad's to check email and check in. I assume several people still don't have internet like us :) several people still don't have power either so we are thankful for that, cuz we did run out of wood the day our power came on!! what great timing (but now our gas bill will go up..oh well atleast we have heat) it got up to 44 today and melted alot of ice, so we will have alot of clean up as everyone else in town (it looks like a war zone in town)
I will be back as soon as we are back up and running at home, just wanted to check with everyone! TTFN

1 comment:

Denise Bryant (imchatty) said...

Yuck!!! I can't imagine anything worse than all the snow we have had but your ice storm tops it...for sure. Hope things are warming up soon. We are due for another snow storm on Monday.